World Heritage the Second Series 4









IssueWorld Heritage the Second Series 4
First DayAugust 23 , 2001
Values800 yen ( 80 yen x 10)
Quantity3,000,000 sheets
DesignEnryaku Temple, Konponchudo hallEnryaku Temple, lasting light of teaching
Enryaku Temple, Ninaido hallDaigoji Temple, Sampo-in garden
Daigoji Temple, Sampo-in gardenDaigoji Temple, five-storey pagoda
Ninnaji temple, Main HallNinnaji temple, five-storey pagoda
Byodoin Temple, Phenix hallByodoin temple, Unchu-kuyou-bosatu
Size25.0 x 33.5 mm25.0 x 33.5 mm
25.0 x 33.5 mm28.05 x 33.5 mm
28.05 x 33.5 mm25.0 x 33.5 mm
25.0 x 33.5 mm25.0 x 33.5 mm
25.0 x 33.5 mm26.5 x 35.0 mm
PrintingPhotogravure in 6 colors
Sheet10 stamps Picture of the sheet
PhotographsEnryakuji Temple
Ninnaji Temple
DesignerMorita Motoharu ( public service designer )
Catalog No.C1799a-j
First Day of
Issue Postmark
Otsu Central Post Office

Japanese Stamp Specialized Catalog (JSCA) & SAKURA Catalog numbers are adopted.

( Back to Menu )

(Small Note for the Issue)

C1799a: (Enryakuji Temple, Konpon-Chudou Hall), Enryakuji Temple is the base of the Tendai sect of Buddhism, which was founded in 787 by Saicho (priest). The original Konpon-Chudo Hall was built in 788, but the existing one was built by the order of Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1642, the third Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate.
C1799b: (Enryakuji Temple, eternal light), the candle light in the hall has been burning without interruption since 787, for more than 1,200 years.
C1799c: (Enryakuji Temple, Ninaido Hall), "Ninaido&quo; means shouldering. The hall was believed to be shouldered by Benkei, a priest-knight and people's hero.
C1799d-e: (Daigoji Temple, Garden of Sanpo-in), Daigoji Temple was founded in 874 by Shoubou Rigen (priest). Sanpo-in's Garden was made by the order of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1958 for his famous "Daigo-no Hanami (cherry blossom party in Daigo)."
C1799f: (Daigoji Temple, five-storied pagoda), The five-storied pagoda of Daigoji Temple is the oldest building in Kyoto, which was build in 952.
C1799g: (Ninnaji Temple, the buildings for eminent priests), Ninnaji Temple was established in 888 by the order of Emperor Uda. These buildings were re-built in years from 1909 to 1914.
C1799h: (Ninnaji Temple, the five-storied pagoda), The five-storied pagoda of Ninnaji Temple was build around the beginning of the Edo period.
C1799i: (Byodoin Temple, Hououdo), "Hououdo" means "phoenix hall" that the building is believed to be the figure of phoenix spreading the wings. The building was originally the villa of Fujiwara Michinaga, who was the patron of Lady Murasaki (Murasaki-shikibu), the author of "Genji-monogatari (Tale of Genji)."
C1799j: (Byodoin Temple, Unchu-kuyou-bosatsu), it is one of the figures on the walls of the main hall of the temple depicting the flying Bodhisattvas in the clouds.